Tuesday, February 5, 2013

One of my favorite dinners


I am not huge into making lasagna - probably because I have never actually made it. I ran across a recipe a while back for lasagna roll ups that looked super easy.

And of course I can't find the first recipe that I made it from but I will tell you how I did it! Here is a recipe that is similar!

Spinach Lasagna Roll Ups

1 Box of Lasagna Noodles
1 pound ground turkey
1 Block of frozen spinach (completely thawed)
2 Jars of Spaghetti Sauce
1 Medium tub of Cottage Cheese
1 bag of shredded Parmesan Cheese
1-2 bags of shredded Mozzarella Cheese
Italian Seasoning to taste

The original recipe used like 6 noodles so I always double it (leftovers!)

First thing I do is put the frozen spinach in the fridge a day or two ahead of when I am going to make it.  This is the easiest way to thaw it out.  Putting it in hot water will also work but is really messy!

* Preheat oven to 350.
* Cook your noodles according to the box.  Drain and rinse with cool water.  If you can lay them out to cool a little bit as they will be hot!
* Cook your meat and season how you would like (I throw some Italian seasoning in there).  Drain any grease. 
* Mix the spinach (if it is still wet - squeeze any extra water out with a paper towel), meat, cottage cheese, about half of the Parmesan cheese and almost a whole jar of sauce (I think it is like 2 cups).  I also add a little more seasoning in! This is your inside mixture.
* Take a noodle - spread desired amount of mixture on it (load it up) and then roll!
* Pour the remaining sauce in the bottom of the pans - save some sauce for the tops of the roll ups though!
* Place the rolls ups in the pan.
* Do this until you run out of noodles or mixture! It usually makes 2 cake pans worth of rolls.
* Top roll ups with additional sauce if desired.
*Generously sprinkle Mozzarella cheese over tops of roll ups.
*Sprinkle additional Parmesan cheese on top of that.
*Sprinkle additional Italian Seasoning on top of cheese.

Cover with tin foil - throw in the oven - remove foil after 25-30 minutes (if cheese on top is melted then it is done! If not keep it in the oven until it is!)

No exact science on measurements and timing.  Never really liked that.  It always turns out good!  AND so easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment